Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). Our goal in this celebration is to educate the worldwide public about the benefits of using high quality FOSS in education, in government, at home, and in business -- in short, everywhere!
Admission to the event is FREE and open to all enthusiastic people, though we suggest a "Pay-What-You-Can" donation to support FreeGeek Chicago and its educational and outreach programming. If you write open source software, use free software, or are curious and want to learn about software freedom and the FOSS community, come join us for Software Freedom Day!
About Software Freedom Day
Our vision is to empower all people to freely connect, create and share in a digital world that is participatory, transparent, and sustainable.
- To celebrate software freedom and the people behind it
- To foster a general understanding of software freedom, and encourage adoption of free software and open standards
- To create more equal access to opportunities through the use of participatory technologies
- To promote constructive dialogue on responsibilities and rights in the information society
- To be inclusive of organizations and individuals that share the SFD Vision (see above)
What to Bring
Bring yourself, some friends, and an open mind. In addition, you may wish to bring the following items:
- Laptop - This is not a requisite to participate but we encourage you to bring your own to workshops and the hacking area. We'll provide the WiFi and power.
- Lunch - FreeGeek will be providing light refreshments throughout the day, including coffee, donuts, chips, soda, water, and other snacks. For a full-on lunch, there are some great neighborhood eats: see Brown-Bag Options below. We'll break at 12:00 noon so you can stuff your face for a bit and socialize as well.
By Public Transit
- CTA Blue Line to Logan Square Stop
- CTA #76 Diversey Bus
- CTA #56 Milwaukee Bus
- CTA #82 Kimball-Homan Bus
- There are few bike racks right by FreeGeek, but we invite you to bring your bike right on into FreeGeek!
The map below shows free and unpermitted parking in the neighborhood. Generally, you should be able to find parking:
- On Diversey, starting two blocks east of Kimball
- On Diversey, starting west of the Family Dollar
- On Kimball, everything south of Diversey Ave
The main access to FreeGeek Chicago is through our grey alley door on the west side of our building, then down a set of stairs. If you would prefer using our elevator,
- Dial #555 from the call box in front of our glass doors at 3411 W Diversey.
- We'll answer and buzz you in.
- Take the elevator to the Basement.